JOB TITLE: Director, ORBIS Canada
OFFICE: ORBIS Canada
APPROVED BY: Board of Directors, ORBIS Canada
DATE: December 2012
As an integral affiliate partner of ORBIS International, the ORBIS Canada office actively participates in ORBIS International's global effort to save sight and eliminate avoidable blindness worldwide. The small but committed team of staff works closely with the Canadian Board of Directors and ORBIS International fundraising and operations colleagues in New York to generate awareness and support for ORBIS from donors across Canada. In 2013 ORBIS Canada is slated to raise $700,000 CAD from individuals, foundations, corporations, government and its board. The current fundraising programs are directed at individual, corporate and foundation donors, and government partners. ORBIS Canada currently also holds two major events annually: the Plane Pulls and the national telethon.
As the lead fundraiser in Canada, the Director will build upon the fundraising success and key partnerships forged over the past 20 years and expand the fundraising strategies and tactics with the goal of diversifying and growing ORBIS Canada's fundraising programs. The director will design and plan ORBIS's Canada's comprehensive development strategy in close collaboration with the Regional Chief of Development at ORBIS International in New York. Then she/he will take the lead in directing and executing these fundraising strategies and plans and she/he will advise, motivate and support the Board of ORBIS Canada.
As the senior leader of ORBIS Canada, the director will also oversee the office's day-to-day management and liaise closely with finance and operations colleagues at ORBIS International who provide hands-on guidance and support.
As a global representative of ORBIS Canada, the director will liaise with ORBIS colleagues around the world and share best practices with the ORBIS fundraising teams across the globe.
REPORTING & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Reports to: Chair of the Board of Directors for ORBIS Canada
Works with: Regional Chief of Development for the Americas at ORBIS International in New York ORBIS colleagues worldwide, including fundraising staff in the US, Europe, and Asia; program staff in the Asia, Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) and Latin America & Caribbean (LAC) regions; as well as finance and HR Staff in New York.
- Donor Relations & Fundraising Coordinator
- Development Assistant (temporary)
- Work closely with the Regional Chief of Development for the Americas to develop fundraising strategies, plans and goals aimed at long-term sustainability, momentum and growth; to identify and develop fundraising goals, standards of measurement and the critical path to achieve these goals and to raise awareness of and increasing the positive perception of ORBIS in Canada
- Partner with, support and harness the passion and commitment of the Board of ORBIS Canada to maximize sustainable revenue generation including the identification of new funding streams and to raise the overall level of engagement of board members
- Broaden funding sources by planning and implementing different forms of direct marketing and events within mainstream and ethnic communities
- Work closely with the Regional Chief of Development for the Americas to project and control revenue and expense budgets for ORBIS Canada and ensure the effective development, management and monitoring of the ORBIS Canada annual budget
- Create a supportive and empowering work environment by leading, managing and mentoring a small team of fundraising and administrative staff that is focused on achieving the vision and financial goals while assuring exceptional relations with donors, potential donors, volunteers and other constituents
- Work closely with the Regional Chief of Development for the Americas to refine and implement fundraising policies, procedures, and reports that ensure the donor database (Raiser's Edge) is used to its full potential
- Oversee all administrative and logistics functions in the office. Collaborate with ORBIS International's Finance Department to develop, refine and implement efficient financial reporting policies and with ORBIS International's HR Department to develop, refine and implement efficient human resources policies.
- Direct the implementation of ORBIS Canada's comprehensive development plan including:
- Annual giving including annual Telethon campaign
- Identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations and government partners in Canada
- Successful execution of major events
- Stewardship and fulfillment of all donors and funding partners
- Database and operational oversight
- Analyze the opportunities beyond the event-intensive fundraising programs to maximize philanthropic support and partnerships
- Make specific major gift calls independently and with staff, including senior staff from ORBIS International and other ORBIS affiliates, and members of the Board of Directors as appropriate
- Work with ORBIS International to track financial and program performance through regular reporting including revenue/expense and budget controls
- Prepare plans and reports for the ORBIS Canada Board and ORBIS International
- Uphold and promote the ethical standards established by membership in AFP, AHP or Imagine Canada
- Collaborate with the Chief of Marketing and Communications at ORBIS International in New York to plan Public Relations initiatives aimed at increasing ORBIS's profile and brand in Canada, utilizing social networks to attract new donors and volunteers
- Develop an ORBIS Canada case for support, make presentations to business groups, associations, foundations, community and ethnic groups and other organizations regarding ORBIS's work, and create partnerships with businesses and organizations and soliciting gifts-in-kind
- Ensure effective sharing of information with all facets of ORBIS International
- Represent and promote ORBIS International and ORBIS Canada with enthusiasm and professionalism, building and strengthening relationships with key donors, funders and prospects, and the media as appropriate
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- A university degree and at least 8 years of successful fundraising experience,
- Demonstrated fundraising successes and able to take the lead in cultivating and securing major gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations and government granting bodies.
- Entrepreneurial, creative approach and driven to help ORBIS reach its worthy aspirations
- Savvy to social media trends and other innovative revenue generation methods,
- A skilled project manager, able to oversee and implement national fundraising programs effectively.
- A successful diplomat skilled at working with a board that is active as program and faculty volunteers, but growing in its involvement in fundraising.
- Strong, articulate communicator who relates well with senior executives, board members, donors, and diverse cultures in North America and overseas.
- An instinctive relationship-builder who is personable, approachable team player to fellow ORBIS staff worldwide.
- Adaptable to the needs of an ever-changing and fast-paced environment, rolling up sleeves and pitching in wherever necessary. Steady and unflappable and focussed on getting the job done.
- Ability to function with limited staff support and an appreciation and understanding of the benefits and challenges of working within a multi-affiliate international organization.
- A valid passport and willingness to travel approximately 10% of the time. Travel is mainly within Canada, with periodic trips to the ORBIS headquarters in New York City and with occasional travel overseas for field operations. Evening and weekend work will be necessary as appropriate.
- Demonstrated proficiency for computer and internet technology, including Microsoft Office. Experience with fundraising database software is mandatory; experience with Raiser's Edge software is highly desirable